Biblical Studies Certificate (BSC) – 31 Credit Hours
The certificate program at Grace School of Theology is designed for the Christian layperson who desires a flexible and less demanding course of study that will provide a general knowledge of the Bible and basic hermeneutical skills. This one year (31 credit hours) certificate is ideal for those volunteering in the local church or other ministry who want to be further equipped but do not wish to enter a formal master’s level degree program at this time.
All courses required for the Biblical Studies Certificate program must be taken for credit (not enrichment) and may count towards any of our other degree programs if the student wishes to continue his or her formal theological education and is accepted into one of the degree programs. Only 9 credit hours of this program are transferrable from another accredited institution.
BSC Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the BSC Program the student will be able to:
- Explain a comprehensive overview of the basic content and theme of each book in the Old and New Testament.
- Exegete and apply Scripture using inductive methods and principles of literal, grammatical, historical hermeneutics.
Required Courses in the BSC Program: (all courses are 3 credits unless otherwise noted)
Introductory Core – 4 credits
- RS-501 Bible Study and Technology (1 credit)
- TH-560 Bible Study Methods (Hermeneutics)
Bible Exposition Core – 24 credits
- OT-512 Old Testament Survey – Pentateuch: Genesis – Deuteronomy
- OT-514 Old Testament Survey – History: Joshua – Esther
- OT-516 Old Testament Survey – Wisdom Literature: Job – Song of Solomon
- OT-618 Old Testament Survey – Major Prophets: Isaiah – Daniel
- OT-620 Old Testament Survey – Minor Prophets: Hosea – Malachi
- NT-513 New Testament Survey – The Gospels
- NT-515 New Testament Survey – Acts and Pauline Epistles
- NT-517 New Testament Survey – Hebrews, General Epistles and Revelation
Elective – 3 credits
- Elective in Systematic Theology
BSC Course Distribution Summary
Introductory Core…………. 4 credits
Biblical Exposition………… 24 credits
Elective…………………………. 3 credits
TOTAL………………………… 31 credits